Sunday, January 22, 2012

Potatoes with Rosemary


I got a little ambitious and wanted to serve three sides dishes with brown rice for dinner one day.

One of them absolutely had to be potatoes something or other because otherwise I was in danger of becoming a potato farmer presiding over budding potatoes.

I was delighted to see this potato with rosemary recipe from The Little Teochew.

I wondered though how the potatoes could be cooked if stir-fried, because I would rather not deep fry it. So I decided to steam it in the rice cooker, before stir frying it with the rosemary.

Pan-fried Potatoes with Rosemary

 
1 Potato, peeled and cut into cubes or cut length-wise into ovals
2 tbs Olive oil
1/2 tsp Rosemary (no fresh ones? oh, alright, dried then!)
A pinch of Salt
  1. Steam potatoes in a steamer compartment of the rice cooker.
  2. In a skillet, fry the potatoes. Fry over a low flame until the potatoes turn slightly crisp and golden around the edges. Make sure each side gets a good amount of rosemary sprinkled on it. Flip and brown the other edges of potatoes.
  3. When all sides of potato pieces are brown, turn off flame.
  4. Sprinkle with salt before serving.
What would The Failed Chef do next time?
  • For the small amount of effort it took, the results are...phenomenal! As a beginner in the kitchen, I hardly crow about the food I make, so I'll make this the same way, which is by steaming it first.
  • Have a talk with myself about how silly it was to be afraid of little 'ol rosemary. It's okay to sprinkle generously because it tastes good when pan-fried with the potatoes!
Aspirational recipe:

No comments:

Post a Comment