Sunday, January 22, 2012

Brown Sugar Bread Pudding

As we all know by now, I hate to let anything go to waste.

Except my life.

Just kidding.

I think.

B forgot to put some of the multigrain bread in the fridge immediately after slicing them. A few days later, he declared them dead. To me, $6 bread, no matter how stale, should not be tossed in the bin.

The same goes for my ideas, I sometimes beseech anybody who will listen.

Allow me to transport you to the time I was in Bath, UK, many years ago. My taste buds recall having had this custardy, creamy bread pudding with ice cream. I also recall my stomach being displeased that I stuffed my face with that glorious dessert because I could hardly walk after dinner.

So. Stale bread? Thank you, universe! This was a chance for me to try out making bread pudding.

I was under no illusion that I would be able to recreate THE bread pudding I had, but this is just an attempt to celebrate the fact that the most glorious bread pudding in history had once descended upon my taste buds.

I decided on the this Brown Sugar Bread pudding recipe.

Brown Sugar Bread Pudding

2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups bread, torn into small pieces
  1. Heat milk in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. When you see film forming on top, turn off flame.
  2. Add in butter and stir until all the butter melts. Set aside and let the milk mixture cool.
  3. Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Gradually add in milk mixture.
  4. Add in bread pieces to the combined milk mixture.
  5. Recall the time when you might have had that milk bath at the spa and how wonderful it felt.
  6. Decide that even the lowly, humble, torn, stale bread deserves a break sometimes.
  7. Leave the bread to soak and luxuriate in its milk bath for several hours. Apply some essential oils on yourself if you are feeling spa-y. I'd recommend lavender.
  8. If you have not had a milk bath at a spa yet, use this time to book an appointment. Because you deserve it.
  9. After a few hours, tell the bread gently but firm that "In life, all good things must come to an end."
  10. Transfer the bread and milk mixture into a 9-inch loaf pan. (Why, yes, it's the same loaf pan I use for everything! Why do you ask?)
  11. Bake at 175 degrees celsius for 45 to 50 minutes or until set.
What would the Failed Chef do next time?
  • I would soak in the crust as well
  • Leave the bread out to harden a bit more so it can soak up more.
  • Add in more cinnamon

No comments:

Post a Comment