Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cream cheese frosting

This reminds me of an assignment I had covering a science program for elementary school kids. They were learning that liquid + solid = slime.

I had the same puzzle sitting in the fridge. Although I would not go so far as to call my failed buttercream frosting slime because that would hurt its feelings.

Liquid = failed buttercream frosting that is just too runny;
Solid = X?

So what choices do I have for X?

a) Icing sugar. But I really didn’t want to add any more icing sugar even if it will give me the desired consistency. This is because, while I do have a sweet tooth, what I do not have is diabetes, and I’d like to keep it that way, thank you very much.

b) Cream cheese

The joy when I found out about the existence of this cream cheese frosting recipe by Janni! Eureka!

Leading leftover: Failed buttercream frosting

Cream cheese frosting

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
failed buttercream frosting

In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese with frosting.

The result?

Awww...Still too runny!

But here's the saving grace.

What would The Failed Chef do next time?
  • What I have been doing is adding the icing sugar/ cream cheese to the entire runny mixture. Wrong! One brilliant commenter shared that if a frosting is too runny, do this. Instead, add the runny frosting to cream cheese! Do this until the frosting reaches the consistency you want. Now you don't have to waste all the icing sugar/ cream cheese and start the evil cycle of making more and more quantities of failed frosting!

No comments:

Post a Comment