Sunday, January 22, 2012

Oreo Cheesecake


With the remaining cream cheese in the fridge, I knew I wanted to make an oreo cheesecake. B goes to McDonald’s fairly often to buy the oreo cheesecake so I wanted to try baking it, especially since I have only made the no-bake versions before.

The two things that I have learnt before making cheesecake:
  1. I needed a water bath for even temperature (a lesson I learnt from failed crème brulee) so the cheesecake doesn’t crack.
  2. Leave the oven door ajar after turning off the oven and leaving the cheesecake in for an hour so that it is allowed to cool slowly. This was so that when I put it in the fridge to cool, the cheesecake won’t sink.
I followed this Oreo cheesecake factory copycat recipe and baking tips and it resulted in a complex (B’s word, not mine) yet sinfully decadent (mine) uncracked, even-levelled cheesecake. Cheesecake is time-enhanced food so have it only a few days after you chill it.


Here's how I did it:

Leading leftovers: Cream cheese, Oreo Cookies, Pie Crust, Chocolate chip cookie dough

Oreo Cheesecake


375g cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 cup flour
4 ounces drained yogurt
7 coarsely chopped Oreo cookies ( for the batter)

  1. Make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature before beginning.
  2. Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy, keeping the mixer on a low setting.
  3. Add 1/3 of the sugar at first, beat the mixture for a short while, add another 1/3, beat again and then add in the the and continue beating cream cheese and sugar until mixed through.
  4. Add the eggs one at a time and continue to beat until blended.
  5. Stir vanilla, salt and flour into cream cheese and egg mixture.
  6. Add the yogurt
  7. Turn off the mixer and gently stir in the 7 coarsely chopped Oreo cookies with a spoon.
  8. Pour mixture into ready-made crust.
  9. Place pan on top rack and in the middle of a preheated oven at 165 degrees celsius and bake for 55 minutes.
  10. Turn off the oven, prop the door open several inches and let the cheese cake stay in the oven for one hour.
  11. Cool on wire rack.
  12. Resist the temptation to eat the cheesecake.
  13. When cool, refrigerate overnight or longer
  14. Resist the temptation to eat the cheesecake the next morningfor breakfast.
  15. After at least 24 hours, EAT. Drink (water, it's healthier). Be merry! (you might as well because you are consuming an insane amount of calories!)
What would The Failed Chef do next time?
  • Nothing different. Yay!
During my "research", I chanced upon this heavenly (or maybe sinful!) confection of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Filled Oreo Cheesecakes. Do I have cream cheese? Check! Do I have chocolate chip cookie dough? Check! Do I have oreos? Check! All systems go!



Oreo and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecakes


Cream cheesecake mixture (before adding the oreo cookie chunks)
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (recipe used here)
Double stuf oreo cookies

and here's what I did:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Place 1 oreo cookie sandwich each into the muffin cakes and set aside.
  3. Squish some of the chocolate chip cookie dough on top of the oreo cookie sandwich if you are me. If you are not me, you will head over to the link above where she rolled the dough into a tube the size of the muffin case and cut equal sizes to be placed on the Oreo cookie.
  4. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of cheesecake mix over each cookie stack and spread on top and around cookie.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheesecake is set. You can cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until completely chilled.
Here's what it looks like just out of the oven.

Surprise inside!

What would The Failed Chef do next time?
  • To have a smaller amount of cookie dough in the stack
I was a little disappointed that unlike the cookie dough vanilla cupcake, the cookie dough did become a cookie. While the cookie dough would be relieved because it finally fulfilled its life purpose and lived up to its potential, I was hoping that it would stay soft. I am probably projecting my insecurities about my life purpose on the cookie dough.

I will share this insight with my therapist.

Another insight that I am hoping my therapist can share with me is why everyone else's cheesecake is white, while mine is yellow.

No, I am not being racist.

Sorry I said the word racist.

Why am I so defensive about colour?

Yet another thing I need to talk to my therapist about.


Oh! And lastly I also made these portion-control oreo cheesecakes because the amount of oreo cheesecake batter was too much for the crust. I baked this alongside the oreo cheesecakes. For a bona fide recipe of the following, you can drool over the photos at Grace's Sweet Life.

Oreo Cheese Cupcakes

Cream cheesecake mixture (after adding the oreo cookie chunks)
Double stuf oreo cookies

and here's what I did:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Place 1 oreo cookie sandwich each into the muffin cakes and set aside.
  3. Divide the leftover batter and spread it on top of the oreo cookie.
  4. I baked it alongside the Big Oreo cheesecake. You can cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until completely chilled.
That at times I have the uncontrollable urge to make several combinations of the same type of dessert at one time troubles me.

Alright, it's confirmed then. There's no doubt that I need help here.

Therapist, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment