Sunday, January 22, 2012

Home-made Reese's-inspired peanut butter bars

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

Then life gives you extra melted chocolate. And I wasn't sure what to do with it.

I read somewhere on the internet that a wise individual suggests putting a layer of the melted chocolate in a non-stick pan,to let it harden and then break it up into chunks and use it like chocolate chips. So why argue with wisdom? So now I have a layer of chocolate in my non-stick loaf pan, awaiting its mission.

Then I realised I can make Reese’s peanut butter bars, and adapt this recipe from Kathleen. This is very agreeable to me for the following reasons.

1. Reese’s are found only in very select stores in Singapore.
2. And when you do find them, you realise Reese’s are expensive here (But then, what is cheap here in Singapore? Just thought I’d toss that question out as well). Especially when you are used to buying them for less than USD$4 in the States and I am a cheapskate. (What? Who said that?)

So here's how to make it.

Leading leftover: Hardened melted chocolate layer in non-stick pan

Home-made Reese's-inspired peanut butter bars

1 cup butter, melted
2 cups digestive biscuits, pounded into crumbs
1 1/3 cups icing sugar
1 cup peanut butter (I used chunky)
hardened melted chocolate layer in non-stick pan
  1. In a saucepan, combine butter or margarine and peanut butter cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until melted (4 to 6 minutes).
  2. Turn off flame and combine icing sugar and digestive biscuits until well-mixed.
  3. Press this peanut butter mixture on top of the hardened melted chocolate layer in non-stick pan.
  4. Place the pan in the fridge for several hours.
  5. Cut up the chocolate-peanut mixture into squares. Voila! Reese's-inspired homemade peanut butter bars on the cheap!
What would The Failed Chef do next time?
  • Nothing, turned out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment