Sunday, January 22, 2012

Baked Rice

To me, “sale” is a good word. “Free” is even better.

When I redeemed 2 free gratin dishes from Cold Storage, I already knew that I wanted to do baked rice in them. Since I already had leftover cream in the fridge, I tried to find recipes that use cream as an ingredient as opposed to using cream of mushroom soup so this baked rice recipe from The Little Teochew is perfect.

Leading leftovers: Overnight rice, cream, carrots

Baked Rice

6 tbsp chicken stock
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp corn flour, diluted with a little water
2 rice bowls cooked rice (best if it's overnight rice kept in the fridge)
Carrots, sliced thinly
A handful of peas
A knob of butter
3 garlic cloves, chopped
Parsley, chopped (for garnishing)
Grated cheddar and mozzarella
Grated parmesan
  1. In a saucepan, combine chicken stock and heavy cream and boil. Turn off flame and add corn starch liquid. Stir till the mixture thickens. Set aside.
  2. In a skillet or wok, melt some butter. Fry the garlic until some pieces are light brown.
  3. Add carrots and fry over a low flame till semi-cooked.
  4. Add rice and make sure there are no lumps.
  5. Pour butter-fried rice into a gratin dish.
  6. Pour chicken stock mixture over the rice.
  7. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
  8. Decided that since I am not going to the gym in the next century, I have no business putting all the cheeses the recipe required. Omit cheddar cheese.
  9. Resolve strengthened, also decide to cut down on mozzarella topping. Make peace with my conscience and say sorry to my taste buds.
  10. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes, at 200 degrees celsius or until the cheese forms a crust.
  11. When out of the oven, top with chopped parsley.
What would The Failed Chef do next time?
  • I panicked because the chicken stock mixture was not thickening up but realised that it does thicken up the longer the mixture stands. Resolve not to panic next time and not to overdose on corn flour.
  • Because I omitted much of the cheese, the cheese mixture was not able to reach the level of aesthetics of The Little Teochew's baked rice with the browned crust, so I should just take it out of the oven after 10 minutes.
  • If I have a deeper dish, I would add chicken to the rice.
  • Continue asking 'Am I ever going to the gym?' It was good for my soul to have a talk with my conscience even if my taste buds suffered a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment