Wednesday, February 22, 2012

White chocolate red velvet cake balls


Beware! Cake balls are tough.

Look at them all disciplined, lined up in neat rows.

Getting here for them wasn't easy. They have left a trail of havoc and mess not only in the kitchen, but also in my head. Because cake balls are experts at psychological warfare and that is what they do best.

You have to respect them, they have been through rough times.

They have been left overnight out in the cold, and the next day thrown into the deep end to fend for their lives in hot liquid. Some get the dunk treatment twice. They barely made it out alive.

Not a smooth life for these folks. Their skins have formed ridges on the scars of the wounds that have healed.


But you know what? Don't judge them.


They are real softies at heart.


They might even strike a pose for you if you ask them nicely.


They still blush when you call them 'amazing' and 'incredible'!

Because they truly are.

Have one!

Or twenty, at one sitting, like I did.


Red Velvet Cake Balls


These were inspired by Bakerella. This being my second time making cake balls, I followed the same directions here. The proportions you should be looking at is a 13" by 9" cake to 1 (16 ounce) container of frosting.

I used the Red Velvet cake and flour frosting and covered them in white chocolate with cake crumbs for the toppings. I put the cake crumbs in the fridge so they harden a little and becomes easier to work with. I plopped just enough frosting until the crumbled cake and frosting forms the consistency of play dough. I think it also helps that the cake is moist but not overly, like the Sprite cake I used last time. It was easy to roll, and the balls didn't melt even when dipped in the chocolate.

I must say I really, really love these cake balls, and so did everyone I gave it too! Unlike buttercream-type and storebought frosting, the flour frosting adds just the right amount of sweetness and complemented the cake really well. Unlike my initial stab at cake balls, these weren't gooey at all. Very smooth texture, very truffle-like. A pleasure to sink your teeth into.

So it's the perfect marriage of the right cake and the right frosting. And they lived happily ever after. In my tummy. Yummy!

What would the Failed Chef do next time?
  • Try out using chocolate covering as well and see how the tastes combine?

No comments:

Post a Comment